- January 1, 1995 through June 8, 2009
- Systematic reviews/meta-analyses only
- Human subjects
- English language
- Sample size: Minimum of 10 subjects per study arm; preference for larger sizes, if available
- Dropout rate: Less than 20%; preference for smaller dropout rates
- Ages: Adults of legal drinking age (21 years and older)
- Populations: Healthy, those with elevated chronic disease risk, those diagnosed with the highly prevalent chronic diseases (CHD/CVD, hypertension, Type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, osteopenia and obesity) and those with breast cancer, colon cancer and/or prostate cancer.
- Medical treatment/therapy
- Diseased subjects (exceptions noted)
- Hospitalized patients
- Malnourished/third-world populations or disease incidence not relative to US population (e.g., malaria)
- Animal studies
- In vitro studies
- Articles not peer reviewed (websites, magazine articles, Federal reports, etc.)
- Cross-sectional study design.
Search Terms & Electronic Databases Used
"Cardiovascular Diseases"[Mesh] OR “Heart Diseases"[Mesh] OR "Stroke"[Mesh] AND("Ethanol"[Mesh] OR “Alcohol Drinking”[mesh] OR "Alcoholic Beverages"[Mesh]) "Stroke"[Mesh] AND ("Ethanol"[Mesh] OR “Alcohol Drinking”[mesh] OR "Alcoholic Beverages"[Mesh])
Total hits from all electronic database searches: 100
Total articles identified to review from electronic databases: 23
Articles identified via handsearch or other means:
Summary of Articles Identified to Review
Number of Primary Articles Identified: 0
Number of Review Articles Identified: 6
Total Number of Articles Identified: 6
Number of Articles Reviewed but Excluded: 17
List of Included Articles for Evidence Analysis
Bagnardi V, Zatonski W, Scotti L, La Vecchia C, Corrao G. Does drinking pattern modify the effect of alcohol on the risk of coronary heart disease? Evidence from a meta-analysis. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2008 Jul; 62 (7): 615-619.
Britton A, McKee M.The relation between alcohol and cardiovascular disease in Eastern Europe: Explaining the paradox. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2000 May; 54 (5): 328-332. Review.
Cleophas TJ. Wine, beer and spirits and the risk of myocardial infarction: A systematic review. Biomed Pharmacother. 1999 Oct; 53 (9): 417-423. Review. PMID: 10554677.
Di Castelnuovo A, Rotondo S, Iacoviello L, Donati MB, De Gaetano G. Meta-analysis of wine and beer consumption in relation to vascular risk. Circulation. 2002 Jun 18; 105 (24): 2, 836-2, 844.
Rimm EB, Williams P, Fosher K, Criqui M, Stampfer MJ. Moderate alcohol intake and lower risk of coronary heart disease: Meta-analysis of effects on lipids and haemostatic factors. BMJ. 1999 Dec 11; 319 (7224): 1, 523-1, 528.
PMID: 10591709; PMCID: PMC28294.
List of Excluded Articles with Reason