Nutrition Evidence Library (NEL): Answering food and nutrition questions with systematic reviewsread more
A state-of-the-art method for evaluating scientific evidence to answer a precise question or series of questions; conducted by a multidisciplinary team of scientific experts based on a predefined approach and criteria. Meticulous methods and electronic tools are used to describe and document each step to ensure, objectivity, transparency, and reproducibility of the process.
- Develop systematic review questions
- Search, screen, select studies
- Data extraction & assess risk of bias of studies
- Describe and synthesize the evidence
- Develop conclusion statements & grade the evidence
- Identify research recommendations
Welcome to NEL
USDA’s Nutrition Evidence Library (NEL) specializes in conducting systematic reviews to inform Federal nutrition policy and programs. NEL staff collaborate with stakeholders and leading scientists using state-of-the-art methodology to objectively review, evaluate, and synthesize research to answer important diet-related questions.
Click here to see the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee’s NEL evidence-based systematic reviews.